Author Topic: Does domestic rabbit meat taste like wild meat? What does it taste like?  (Read 4103 times)

Butch Mazza

• Administrator
    • Old Highway 30 Rabbitry
It seems like more and more folks are raising domestic rabbits for a supplemental meat supply because rabbits produce more lbs of meat per lb of feed than beef cattle. Many first time rabbit breeders have never even eaten rabbit meat before they purchase, house and breed their rabbits. I would strongly suggest that people who chose to raise rabbits for meat buy a fryer rabbit that is between 3 and 6 lbs, butcher it and then cook it themselves so they can get the "feel" for what it takes to raise rabbits for meat. If you do this, take the time to search for a good recipe so your first experience is a good one.
So what does rabbit taste like? Rabbit meat has been compared to chicken many times on the intranet, but I would disagree and say it is much better. Here's why. Have you eaten fried chicken and found after a couple of pieces you get a taste in your mouth and just can't eat any more? It seems that there's too much fat or some taste that you just can't eat too much of or it will turn your belly. Rabbit does not have caramelized fat in the meat like chicken or beef so it is nearly fat free because the fat is on the outside of the meat and not within. The meat is very mild, not wild tasting and usually requires a sauce because the meat has less moisture. Does it taste like chicken? It's better and the USDA reported rabbit meat as the #1 healthiest meat available. Is domestic rabbit meat like wild rabbit meat? No, feed on healthy rabbit ration on a regular basis and kept in a sanitary environment they are clean, bug free and grow to fryer size in 3.4 to 4.5 months, depending on what weight you chose. I pressure cook them for 1.5 hours with powered onion, garlic and salt n pepper just to add a delicious touch to the meat. When cooled enough I debone and place in food-saver vac bags for a future day when I want to make some sloppy joes or one of our taco recipes.
Rabbit meat is one of the secret delicious foods fed to kings and rulers throughout history because of the grand taste. Don't knock it until you try it. You'll be pleasantly supprised.
old timer in Idaho
Making the world better, one rabbit at a time!

Richard Larkins

• IMRGA Association Member
  • Newby
I've boiled, fried, rotisserie, pressure cooked and baked rabbit and it all comes out great! The thing to remember is that rabbit meat is a dryer meat and must have plenty of moisture added while it is being cooked. It is my favorite meat and it has lowered my insulin usage over eating other meats! Yes! For me it has been a health secret that I've found that works for me. I eat lots of rabbit and vegetable soups and stews but sometimes I put a roster rabbit on the rotisserie and wipe on BBQ sauce every 10 minutes  for 2 hours. Boy is it a great meat! More and more young people who are seeking a healthy meat for their family without hormones and chemicals are turning to raising meat rabbits for their own source. Some say it tastes like chicken but I think it's better because I can eat it without the chicken-fat attack in my mouth and my stomach. It seems I can only eat so much chicken and then it just is too strong/fatty in my mouth. I do eat chicken, don't take me wrong! I just prefer and enjoy domestic rabbit, preferably New Zealand rabbit better. It is not grainy, not gamy, and not fatty. It is a wonderfully mild white meat that fits with any dish I choose to add it to. Rabbit Gravy and Biscuts is one of my favorite too! Now you know why I call myself the rabbit man!   
Rick

Butch Mazza

• Administrator
    • Old Highway 30 Rabbitry
Rabbit Jerkey! You bet!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 09:57:08 AM »
There are many many ways to cook rabbit. Even the ancient Romans had special recipes for rabbit to serve to Cesar's Family. Rabbit has been set on the tables of servants and kings for centuries. One of the ways that you can use your rabbit meat is to buy a meat grinder, get a jerky pistol, blaster or powered blaster at Cabala's or your favorite store and then add jerky seasoning of your favorite flavor and your in business! Do you have to have a smoker? No! There are smokeless recipes you can use in your oven.
So, what cuts from the rabbit can you use to make rabbit jerky? Any cut you choose! Rabbit meat is rather dry so some folks use the belly strap meat which has more fat in it than the back or thighs. You can add it to the dry meat or just use it for jerky as one lady shows on you-tube's video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKzY9Dfnhs8 .  If you've ever eaten beef jerky then you'll know what to expect with rabbit meat because you can use the same flavoring on rabbits too. Want to have some jerky for your emergency food supplies? Well, you've just been invited to search the web and begin your adventure in making rabbit jerky.
Have you made rabbit jerky before? Willing to start a new topic on rabbit jerky and share your expertise so the beginners can learn to use their rabbit meat in a whole new way.  Jerky costs around $3.00 an ounce so think of the savings you can have making your own jerky out of the healthiest meat available!
So! Are you willing to share with us? :))  I love rabbit jerky!
Making the world better, one rabbit at a time!